Monday, September 25, 2006

The Adams Luck

There's a strange happening in my family, that only those who know us really well will notice. Somehow, things always work out for us. It may be subtle, but we always seem to have the light shining upon us, and the worst never happens. If we are running late (which is always), whoever or whatever we were rushing to happens to be running late too. If there is something we need, someone is trying desperately to give said-thing away. This luck likely makes some of you upset at times, but believe me, I am grateful for every blessing, large and small. For me, it has created an eternal optimism and easy-going nature that are perhaps somewhat naive, but that serve me well.

Today, I had a job interview here in Rome that was almost a sure thing - the guy had responded to my resume right away and had waited 6 weeks to meet me even though he had to fill the position urgently ("urgently" to be taken with a grain of salt...this IS Italy after all). In any case, I trudged through what I was sure was worst rainstorm in all Roman history, in my fancy new suit...hair and make-up done, route planned out, resume in hand. After a few deep breaths at the bottom of the stairs, I arrived at the office
only to be told that they'd filled the position on Saturday and "hadn't Marco contacted you this morning to tell you not to come in?" No, no he didn't, but that's ok, thanks anyway! I am out within 60 seconds of having entered.

As a pick-me-up (the translation of "tiramisu"), I continued soaking my fancy new suit in pursuit of 'arancini', those delicious Sicilian fried rice and ch
eese balls.

There was a place that made them especially well that I remember from my last time in Rome, about 15 mins from my non-interview. Not having had lunch because of nerves, I was especially excited...and desperate.

So I get there only to learn that Monday is the one day a week the "World of Arancini" is closed.

HOWEVER, and here is where the Adams luck comes in, it happens to be
located exactly where I need to get the bus home and the bus comes right away. Once home, my roommate tells me that this happens all the time...you don't want to work for a place like that... something better will come along and you'll be so glad you didn't take this job. I go to change into dry clothes and to check my email and find an message from Signor Marco - interviewer extraordinaire. He apologizes and tells me he really found my resume really very interesting and he is going to keep it on file, provided I approve. He would very much like to keep in touch and apologizes profusely for not having contacted me earlier to tell me not to come - he even apologizes for the rain.

So, in the end, even though my best chance, thus far, at finding work here in Rome has fallen through, I am somehow ok. Mika and I are going out for
pizza, which is a cure for just about any ailment, if you ask me (aside: I made sure they were open today). I am finding plenty of places to apply to and in the meantime enjoying my free wireless internet, the impending thunderstorm (one of my favorite things) and the feeling that it'll be ok. I can do this, luck or not.

Rome is even pretty in the rain after all... (view from the kitchen - that's the courtyard down there, with real lemon and lime trees)

1 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I miss you more everytime I read how fantastic everything is there.. with or without a job and rain!

mwah! cant wait to come visit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home