Wednesday, October 11, 2006

October 11, 2006

It looks like translating until the wee hours of the night last night got the better of me - che sonno! Before I hit the sack, here are a few photos of what I saw today now being once again unemployed:


Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria - overly ornate church with Bernini's "Ecstasy of St. Theresa" (see the excerpt of how St. Theresa described her "religious" highs). The light is let in naturally by a window placed there just for this sculpture.



Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli - in the Diocletian Baths of Ancient Rome - This structure was converted from ancient bath ruins to the massive church you see today by Michelangelo. There is a neat astrological clock in here that spans almost the whole width of the church floor (you can see the little spot of light let in at the top of the second photo - where the bronze plaque is - to track the 'time' astrologically on the church floor).

There was also an exhibition of "Pope-Art" (get it, heeeheee)




Also in Santa Maria degli Angeli.


In other brief news - the interview went ok - oddly the permesso didn't even come up in conversation. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign. The job would be as a bounce-around assistant/substitute to all the operators of these big projects - incentives, big congresses, major sporting events (they are handling the America's Cup in Valencia). I'll hear Monday or Tuesday if I am to interview with the Director.

On a final, sweet note - my translation client called my translation perfect and stupendous and unexpectedly thorough!

And on a final, salty note - I finally got my arancina... and know I don't know how I am going to not have one every other night as long as I am in Rome! Even better than I remembered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home