Sunday, October 15, 2006

Redemption

In an effort to accomplish something on a lazy Sunday and get to a place where I can forgive the squash, I set out this afternoon to a nearby museum called Centrale Montemartini - it's off the beaten track and far from the crowds, which is exactly what I wanted...and then some.

The museum space was originally the first power station in Rome, inaugurated in 1912. So it has this neat yester-year atmosphere. Most of the machinery and equipment is still there and all the art pieces (mostly 1st century BC pieces, excavated from what is now downtown Rome - so cool) are set up against this very grandiose, powerful yet mechanical background. The pieces, especially the human forms, seem to come alive and overtake the machines with their movement, grace, vulnerability - it's spectacular:






There was a neat temporary exhibit as well, featuring costumes from famous Italian films - I saw dresses worn by Sofia Loren, Isabella Rosellini, Liza Minelli, and many more!



And finally - culinary redemption - I am sorry, Tina, Flavio and Carlotta, that I didn't make this last night because it is quite possibly the best pasta sauce I've ever made!!



And what better to compliment it than wine in a single serving juice box?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home